Circle W Photography and other interests

Lets talk Photography and Guns

End of Trail 2015 Single Action Shooting Society’s World championship of cowboy action shooting.

leave a comment »

first off sorry no photos as I was barely able to carry what I needed to shoot.

Travel day to Albuqerque.

Well had a doctors appoint just after noon at the VA hospital.   Besides the 3 hour and 45 minute drive up to the hospital which fortunately was unenventful. Took 54 n to Carizosso, the west on 380 until you reach I 25 north .  Once you get to Abq it’s easy to find the va center off Gibson.  

On the way up I realized my rack for holding my long guns had a couple missing screws.  Stop at Home Depot in las Lunos and picked up several so I’d have spares.

Doctor appoint went well got out of the va about 1430 iirc. Visited a friend to check on something for a friend.  It was a short stay as I still needed to make it to the ranch to sign in and get my packets and swag instead of doing it prior to the war ups on Tuesday.

Made it the ranch with an hour to spare.  Headed for registration and signed my waiver grab my package and swag bag head straight to docs old west.

We had been corresponding thru email about maybe modifying some gear I had.  It turned out to be smarter and cheaper for me to buy new stuff from him.  He promised the first item some natural looking chinks by the time I needed them to shoot the warmup the next afternoon and he delivered they were a lot more comfortable than wearing a vest as I found out later in the week.

Why did Cowboys wear vests.  The answer is a two solution answer,  first was to cover the suspenders that they wore to hold their pants up since belt loops were not invented yet.  The second was pockets.  Once you put a gun belt on the pants pockets are inaccessible if you add to it chinks or chaps forget about it so they used the pockets in the vest.  Well so did I, even when I wasn’t wearing it while shooting I had it draped over my seat on the scooter.  

Second item had to be made from scratch was boot chaps.  Doc measured me so that they would be a perfect fit.  These were not ready until Thursday right before I shot the first day of the match.
After hitting up another vendor, buckaroo bobbins for a new vest and a leather case for my gun belt to hold namely my new custom ears that I had to have made since I forgot all ear plugs somehow mine were about ready to be replaced anyway. But that a story for another day.

The last vendor I visited was the old fashion soda wagon.  I love their black cherry with a touch of cream soda mixture.  I’ve been a frequent customer of the wagon for years every since the first one showed up. I usually make a deal for a couple cups of soda a day and usually one or two gallons to take with me for the motel and trip home.  This was the third owner operator that has come to the ranch.  We come to terms on a fair price.  I paid him and it makes life easy during the match I just show up they fill up my cup and were good.  No digging for money.  By the end of the week most of them had the mixture right.

After that I head back to the truck.  On the way I saw Mose and Bella, he gold plates front sights.  He wasn’t setup last year but I got my guns done this year.  

After loading all the bags in the truck with everything I brought and put the scooter on the lift I headed out but decide to stop and visit with crazy Kurt.  He was home we spoke for a while it was still very hot and he wasn’t back to 100% from overheating the day prior.

After leaving jury’s I spoke with Johnny meadows our fantastic loose marshal and one of my go to gunsmiths for sxss.we pass on pleasantries and agree we would talk later as we were posed together end.

After him I stopped asked a couple questions of capt Baylor as he was switching over from wild bunch to frontiersman iirc.  

Finally were heading out of the ranch, I decided to take a left to check out the condition of Barton road the most direct route to the ranch from where I’m staying.  Well someone had fun when the road was muddy from the deep trenches dug in to the road.  Needed grading and gravel to be worth using.  So every day I took the long way to the ranch.

Get to the motel check in get the same room I had last year which is perfect it is about the closest door to the entrance and is setup for the disabled.  After many trips the truck is unloaded so I can prepare for the warmup match the next afternoon.

I go about unpacking deciding on my gear and clothes for the next day a nd the relax I had stopped on the way to the motel and grabbed some sandwiches and o rings from Arby’s.

Next morning wake up get gear ready and head to the ranch.  I stop for a saugage burrito from sonic on the way to the ranch.  I get to the ranch around noon. Early for my warmup. But I needed to pick up the chinks and look around before the match.  I should have signed up for one of the earlier warm ups as it was getting very warm by the time we started.  I shoot two of the four stages, the last one I was having problems for two reasons catching my breath. Not he first was the heat the second was I forgot my shotgun belt and had to use a different belt that I barely was able to buckle. Not say it was tight was an understatement.  But I shot the two stages and packed it in so I could breath.  Made a mental note to locate my normal shotgun belt when I got back yo the room which I did.

I had planned to dress differently each day between the new chinks and the heat that didn’t happen.  But I set up a routine to insure that I had everything I needed for the shoot the next day bagged up. My leather in a clothe tote bag., my ammo and shooting supplies in the saddlebags.  My clothes laid out.  I wore the same pants two days but a fresh shirt and scarf each day. The vest was tagged for all week since it was short enought to clear my gun belt, button up in the front to make it easier to reach everything and was lighter than both the other vests I owned and brought. But I wore it the first day of the main match but draped it over the back of the scooter when I shot the rest of the days.

The next day was side matches and plainsman.  I had decide before I left that this would be a R&L day since I doubted I could make it five days in a row shooting, since I wasn’t used to that much activity so I left the extra equipment home.  Just brought the main match guns, the USFA SAAs and 1873 plus mt TTN hammered SxS and my 1887 lever shotgun that I love shooting the TTN was in case I had problems with the 87′,did not have any so the TTN stayed I the truck after the warmup match.

Wednesday I hung around the AC room and done something I’ve not been able to do in year, took a tub bath. I normally take showers. It felt great I wanted to do it again before checking out but that fell through.

First day of the main match each wave has a mandatory safety briefing, the hold them the day of each event, warmup, side match, wild bunch etc.  they do several things at these meetings, first the introduce everyone who is somebody and welcome you.  Then they cover the basic safety rules that apply that day then the brief you on any special rules they they feel need alerting you to.  They kept it quick and itt was a good meeting for what it was.  tA and Lassiter have this down.  They wrote outstanding stages giving the shooter plenty of robe to hang himself with although most made it through without rope burns.after the meeting pale wolf brownell had all the classic Cowboys and b western shooter on this wave meet them so they can view that you are indeed wearing what you should for you respective category,  myself I had eight or nine items on that day instead of the five required.  I still have one item to make or remake as I’ve probably out grew the ones o made ten years ago.  I need new cowboy or roper cuffs then I’ll have all the items I need to rotate item and have the five items on at any one time.

Shot the middle four stages of the the first day.  We started on the third stage if the group the shot the forth then moved down to the first one for the day finishing with the second stage in line each day.  I shot slow but clean meaning I never missed a target,  iirc I never had to even make up a target.  The only proble that day besides the heat was I grabbed the wrong box of shotgun ammo I prefer to shoot 900 DPS rounds but while I was back in ga I had bought a case of target loads that were in the 1200-1400 foster range that is the box I grabbed. I checked around and borrowed some AAs from leg dart lawman which after the days shooting I stopped off at cowboy shooting supplies and bought a case of AAs just in case I had grabbed all wrong ammo.  Which wasn’t the case it was just the one box I grabbed that morning that was the high power ammo.  But besides having two cases of AAs at home I now had a case to use now.  I return or should say replaced the ammo with a new box the next day.

On Tuesday when I was packing it up I dropped a very special knife out of its sheath on my gun belt.  When I got to the motel I notice it . I called Kurt and had him go looking for it but he didn’t find it.  
So Thursday I checked with lost and found, sure enough it was turned in uplifting my opinion of cowboy shooters.  It’s one of my require items for my category.  On Thursday I over did just for a laugh.  I had on a scarf, suspenders, arm garders, a vest, pocket watch with full double chain, the knife, chinks and botas/boot chap depending on locale.if I listed everything it was nine items.  I refuse to wear Spurs because I don’t get around all that well to start with all I need is to trip over my own Spurs and fall.   It was too warm for a jacket or gloves, and I’m still need to make the cuffs so that the whole list as I recall it.

After shooting liaded up making sure both my knife and screw knife were still with me.  Headed back to the motel but stop for dinner at the cafe on the way.  I developed the routine of getting the meat and bread a bs a stuffed potato to go eat the salad from a nice salad bar there along with a piece of Texas toast and my sweat tea to wash it down. That gave me my snack for later.  It worked well first day I had chopped steak, second day was pork chops and the last day was chopped steak again.

One thing I should have mentioned was our shooting schedule.  We were poise 27 and we shot the late wave middle stages on Thursday, on Friday we shoot the middle wave first group of stages and on Saturday we shot the early wave last group of stages.  I liked it real well except Thursday’s my cart died so I got a push to the only exterior outlet that wasn’t being used plugged it in went to grab a bite, get a drink of soda and basically kill some time.  I figure 30 minutes should get me from town to my truck it didn’t I had to get one of the wad dies to push me from the top of town where most catch the team to my truck.  I was very thankful for his assistance.  I load it up. 

When I get rested back at the motel I go unload the scooter bring it in to charge it overnight hoping this will be the last time I need to do so during the match.  Nope Saturday it’s low again and I charge it for about an hour or so while I hobble around visiting with the vendors. This time it made it back to the truck.
I. Shot Friday clean without any events that I recall. Except on the last stage I pull out my screw knife to assist another shooter I just stuck it back in what I thought was the sheaf for it.  After I shoot the last stage of the day I take off my shotgun belt dropping the screw knife.  It wasn’t until later while waiting on a friend who was still shootings hat I noticed it missing.  Once my business was completed I returned to the last berm we shoot on ask the brass lickers if any one had found a knife they had but had passed it on to someone to drop off at lost and found.  S o off to lost and found again but this time it has been turned in.  It’s getting late so I decide I’ll check in the morning before I shoot.  Off to the truck load everything up.  Head to the cafe and on to the motel.  It was to hot and I was too tired to load the truck up so I setup a late checkout for the next day. And retire to the room.
Next morning no time to do anything but get dressed grab what I need for the day and head out. I stop at sonic for breakfast and head to the ranch going the long way like I’ve done all week.  Go buy the lost and found no knife, hit the soda wagon get filled up and head to where my friend from the previous day said he would be but he mopust have been running late,. I figure he would then look me up but that didn’t happen.  About the time we started the first or second stage that day the bottom fell out.  Was the first time I’ve seen a match stopped fork weather.  I happen to be the shooter on the line when the call was made.  This stage had a building with a fairly good roof so I wasn’t getting any wetter, I was under cover. The to asked me if I wished to wait the twenty minutes the storm was supposed to take to run its corse. The way I looked at it I was already through the wet areas and dryish where I was to shoot from.  Now after I shot I would be subject to be rained on going from the firing line to the unloading table.  I decided to proceed and shoot it while I was there.  Went a pulled the right revolver and the hammer was so wet my thumb couldn’t grip it to cock it tried two or three times when both myself and the to decided to restart. That was after wiping the guns down with a towel.  The second time went much better.  The only thing with shooting while it was raining it made it hard for the spotter to see a miss as all hit made a splash in front of the target.  Another day clean.  That’s three days in a row clean making a clean match.  My last stage I think was my slowest stage of the match. I took sight of the target verified the front and rear sight were lined up perfectly with the target, doubled checked the squeezed the trigger hitting the target and repeated for each target including the shotgun targets.  I did everything by the book on that last stage just to make sure I wouldn’t receive a p or safety thus costing my clean match.  I’m not sure which day or stage it was but I think it was the last day.  Another shooter inadvertently grabbed my rifle which is chambered for 38-40. He was shooting 38s iirc. It jammed the rifle up costing him many misses. Ten probably.i go to the loading table where my long guns were staged before we started shooting.  I’ve found it is easier on me to stage my guns at the loading table if there is a rack for this purpose when I enter the bay then I go to the line for the briefing then I head to the unloading table where I park my scooter and I watch the table for several shooters before heading to the loading table to load my guns to shoot the stage.  Iirc it was our last stage when the rifle swap happened. I’m trying to load my ammo in his gun not noticing its not my gun.his wife brings me my rifle explains that they were inadvertently swapped.  My ammo went in my gun without problem which is good since it was built for that ammo.i shoot the stage clean as stated and thus shooting the main match clean.  After the stages that day we had the poise team shoot which we wereless than two seconds from winning.  I head to red wings tent to buy a new screw knife since mine wasn’t turn in to lost and found the last time I checked.  Tom went to lost and found and the knife was there this time.  My faith is cowboy shooter renewed.  I still ordered a backup screw knife to match my larger knife.  If I can find a laser engraver that will do what I wish I’ll have my name on all three knives.  Been tiring for the past year to have it done.  Next I go see a shooter who thought they were interested in something I had for sale but after wasting a couple hours of my time they decide it wasn’t for them.

So to the truck load everything and go looking for the other shooter who was supposed to have something I bought from them.  They were up at the shotgun range.  After finding them I was told the bag with my item was in his truck which his wife had taken back to hidden valley where they were staying after several fail attempts to contact her and another hour or so of my time wasted we agree he will mail it to me when he returns home.

I head back to the motel stop at the cafe eat and decide I’m too tired to try and drive four hours home now.if the truck was loaded and I left the ranch at noon instead of four I would have drove home but that didn’t happen so I make arrangement to cancel the late checkout and swap it to another nights stay.

I get to the rum undress and Kay on the bed watching tv while I cool down so I can take another tub bath.  That didn’t happen I feel a sleep for several hours.  When I a woke I started organizing my things packing the items that I would not need the next day. It was too late to carry the stuff out but would be ready first thing in the morning.  I finally rose about two hours before checkout. Finished the packing and started caring items to the truck . Once it was loaded except for my dirty clues bag I changed to the items I wa wearing home from those that I had on while loading the truck I cooled down before dawning the new shirt so it would remain dry.  I did a once over looking for left items not seeing any departed the room and checked out.

I decided I needed a bite fore breakfast and knowing nothing existed on the way done something that I’m rarely seen doing, went to mickey dis and got a egg mc muffin for breakfast and a drink.  Before pulling out I got the iPad setup for directions and so I could listen to a book on they way home.  I plug my new iPhone in to well as the iPad.  The down old east 66 to hwy 42 then 41 to 54 west.  I stop at the four way in Carizosso and at the last minute notice that the restraint on the corner was open on Sunday.  I figure their food had to be better than the convience store across the road.  So I pull into the parking lot get out walk thru the diner to the bathroom. The back out to the counter where I sat down and order.  I inquired what was good told everything, then ask about the specials, that’s when someone suggested the chicken fired steak that they make fresh in house. I was told most thing are made fresh in house.  The corn was fresh you could tell it had never seen a freezer it was crisp with strands of silk running under the kernels, was toke that they have to shuck it daily.the fries were so many it didn’t look like I made a dent in them after eating my fill.  The steak was so tender I used the fork to cut it.  I just found my new stop on my return trips from Abq..I eat paid tipped got a sweet tea to go and drove home.  Ending this trip and story.


Written by circlew

July 6, 2015 at 5:55 am

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: